Skip to content Skip to navigation


California Assembly Bill 540 (AB540) was signed into law in October 2001 and provides that students meeting all of the following requirements will qualify to pay in-state tuition:

  • Attend a California high school for three or more years,
  • Graduate from a California high school or receive the equivalent general education diploma (GED),
  • Register or be currently enrolled in a California Community College (CCC), California State University (CSU), or the University of California (UC), and
  • Sign a statement with the college or university stating that he or she will apply for legal residency as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Additional information about this exemption can be found here. Submitting an AB 540 application does not mean automatic qualification. A Statement of Legal Residence must also be submitted.  Follow these steps to apply for AB 540. 

Submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).

  1. After submitting your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), wait 48 hours then complete your Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) that will appear on your checklist in your student portal.
  2. You will then be able to submit an AB 540 application and proof of eligibility.
  3. After you have submitted your AB 540 application and proof of eligibility, it will generally take about 2 weeks for your status to be updated.