Last updated July 23, 2020
For the Summer and Fall 2020 terms, the Academic Senate has approved a policy allowing the pass/no pass grading option for all undergraduate courses and the satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading option for all graduate courses. Review this information and if you still have questions, contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance.
Policy and Important Information
Changing the grade option for any course is a big deal. Read the following carefully before making your decision:
- Students are allowed to make updates to grade modality for WRI 001 for Summer 2020 as approved by the system-wide Academic Senate.
- This could have implications for degree progress and admission to graduate school. Contact your Academic Advisor for questions.
- Understand the potential impacts on “Satisfactory Academic Progress” and financial aid. If you are receiving financial aid, and are currently on a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal due to a low cumulative GPA, you are discouraged from electing to change your grading option from a letter grade to P/NP as it may result in failing to meet the terms of your Appeal.
Any student can update their grade modality in any course. The normal policy, available here in the catalog, has many stipulations that have been removed for Summer and Fall 2020.
- Students do not need to be in good academic standing to elect the P/NP or S/U option for Summer or Fall 2020.
- Students can elect the P/NP or S/U option no matter if they elected the option in other terms.
- Students may repeat on a P/NP or S/U bases courses that were previously taken on letter-graded basis.
- Although credit for courses taken on a P/NP basis is still limited to one-third of the total units taken and passed, students may request this requirement be waived.
How to Make the Changes
Undergraduate Students: If you chose to update your grade modality to Pass/No Pass, a grade of P will be assigned for a letter grade of C- or better. If you earn a grade of D+ or below, your grade will be recorded as NP. In both cases, P or NP grades will not be computed into your grade point average. You may elect the Pass/No Pass grade option through the last day instruction through MyRegistration then Change Grading Option.
Summer Session A 2020 Deadline: Thursday, July 2 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
Summer Session B, C, & D 2020 Deadline: Friday, August 14 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
Fall 2020 Deadline: Friday, December 11 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
Students with registration holds will not be able to make changes through MyRegistration. Instead, please complete the Grade Mode Change form and submit it to email@example.com using your UC Merced email address.
Graduate Students: If you chose to update your grade modality to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, a grade of S will be assigned for a letter grade of B or better. If you earn a grade of B- or below, your grade will be recorded as U. In both cases, S or U grades will not be computed into your grade point average. You may elect the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grade option through MyRegistration then Change Grading Option through the last day of instruction and then use the Grade Mode Update form available here by the deadlines provided below.
Summer Session A 2020 Deadline: Thursday, July 23
Summer Session B, C, & D 2020 Deadline: Friday, September 4
Fall 2020 Deadline: Monday, January 4, 2021
Information for Faculty
Faculty can view the student grade modality choice within CatCourses in the Mid/Final Grade tool. However, because students can switch back and forth as many times as they chose before the last day of instruction for any given term, instructors should continue to grade based on a letter grade.