Last updated May 24, 2021
The Academic Senate has approved a policy allowing the pass/no pass grading option for all undergraduate courses (see below for exceptions) and the satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading option for all graduate courses through Summer 2021. Review this information and if you still have questions, contact the Office of the Registrar or your academic advisor for assistance.
Policy and Important Information
Changing the grade option for any course is a big deal. Read the following carefully before making your decision:
- ALL UC MERCED UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS (with the exceptions listed below) HAVE AGREED TO ACCEPT P/NP GRADES: UC Merced degree programs typically require students to utilize the letter grade option for all of their required courses.
- GASP 109, GASP 190, and GASP 191 are only offered for letter grade.
- BIO 002 and BIO 003 are only offered for letter grade.
- STUDENTS WHO PLAN TO APPLY FOR POSTGRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL STUDY — Letter Grade requirement. There is a chance that medical/professional/graduate schools may not accept a grading option of P/NP for some courses (referenced as “letter grade” requirement risk in the flowchart below).
- STUDENTS WORKING ON RAISING THEIR GPA TO BE IN GOOD STANDING. Students who need to raise their GPA above a 2.0 to be in good standing or for purposes of financial aid may be harmed by the adoption of P/NP grades, as they are not included in GPA calculations.
- STUDENTS WHO RECEIVE VETERANS BENEFITS: Students who receive veterans or veterans dependent benefits should seek guidance from UC Merced’s Veterans Services: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MAINTAINING SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS FOR FINANCIAL AID: In addition to GPA, a student must maintain “Satisfactory Academic Progress” (SAP). As indicated in the Federal Stimulus Package language, students choosing to adopt P/NP grading option will maintain SAP, as P/NP grades still figure into the SAP calculation. Otherwise, P/NP does not have a financial aid impact.
- PASS/NO PASS DEFINITION: The grade P is assigned for a letter grade of C-minus or better. If the student earns a grade of D-plus or below, the grade will be recorded as NP. In both cases, the student’s grade will not be computed into the grade point average.
Any student can update their grade modality in any course. The normal policy, available here in the catalog, has many stipulations that have been removed.
- Students do not need to be in good academic standing to elect the P/NP or S/U option.
- Students can elect the P/NP or S/U option no matter if they elected the option in other terms.
- Students may repeat on a P/NP or S/U bases courses that were previously taken on letter-graded basis.
- Although credit for courses taken on a P/NP basis is still limited to one-third of the total units taken and passed, students may request this requirement be waived.
How to Make the Changes
Undergraduate Students: If you chose to update your grade modality to Pass/No Pass, a grade of P will be assigned for a letter grade of C- or better. If you earn a grade of D+ or below, your grade will be recorded as NP. In both cases, P or NP grades will not be computed into your grade point average. You may elect the Pass/No Pass grade option through the last day instruction through MyRegistration then Change Grading Option.
- Summer 2021 Deadline Session A: Friday, July 2 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
- Summer 2021 Deadline Session B, C, and D: Friday, August 13 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time
Students with registration holds will not be able to make changes through MyRegistration. Instead, please complete the Grade Mode Change form and submit it to email@example.com using your UC Merced email address.
Graduate Students: If you chose to update your grade modality to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, a grade of S will be assigned for a letter grade of B or better. If you earn a grade of B- or below, your grade will be recorded as U. In both cases, S or U grades will not be computed into your grade point average. You may elect the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grade option through MyRegistration then Change Grading Option through the last day of instruction and then use the Grade Mode Update form available here by the deadlines provided below.
- Spring 2021 Deadline: Friday, June 4, 2021
- Summer 2021 Deadline Session A: Friday, July 23
- Summer 2021 Deadline Session B, C, and D: Friday, September 3
Information for Faculty
Faculty can view the student grade modality choice within CatCourses in the Mid/Final Grade tool. However, because students can switch back and forth as many times as they chose before the last day of instruction for any given term, instructors should continue to grade based on a letter grade.