Use the Leaving UC Merced form to initiate the process of leaving UC Merced. Factors like timing in the semester, circumstances surrounding your leave, and whether you plan on returning will determine the process used. This form will automatically help you determine which type of leave is right for you.
More information about the following items can be found below.
A student who is called to active duty should contact their academic advisor to discuss leave options and notify the Veteran Services Office. Regardless of the type of leave that is taken, the application fee will be waived. Once the student has discussed with their academic advisor and other relevant offices they must complete the Leaving UC Merced form to get started on their absence from UC Merced.
The University of California recommends that students consider purchasing Tuition Insurance to protect them financially in case they need to withdraw for medical reasons. Tuition Insurance is not mandatory, and may be purchased from any source. More information can be found here.
To cancel your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), please follow the directions here. You will need your UC Merced login informaiton as well as your information from your application to complete the process.
Generally, admitted students may not defer enrollment; students are admitted to the term for which they applied. However, written requests for deferred enrollment will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Continuing students will need to seek an Educational Leave if a break in enrollment is required. If a new student wishes to request to defer their enrollment to a different semester they need to write a letter to Admissions or submit an email from their ucmerced.edu email account. They should not then submit a Cancelation/Withdrawal form through the Office of the Registrar or their request to defer admission will be canceled. The email should include:
- Subject line: Request to Defer Enrollment
- Future enter date (cannot be more than one year) Plans during deferment period
- Signature (not needed if sent through ucmerced.edu email)
- Mail letters to: Director of Admissions/ University of California, Merced/ 5200 N. Lake Road/ Merced, CA 95343. Or email to: email@example.com
Once the request has been reviewed by admissions and a decision is made, the student will be notified through their ucmerced.edu email address.
- A student may not attend any school during their deferment period.
- A student can typically only defer their enrollment for one year.
- A student may request to defer enrollment only prior to the first day of instruction. If instruction has begun, they use the Cancelation/Withdrawal form. NOTE: The cutoff date is the first day of instruction, not the day the semester begins.
- Deferring enrollment might affect the student’s Financial Aid. For specific questions they should contact financial aid.
- Students must have submitted final official documents for verification of eligibility for the deferment request to be considered.
Questions: Georgie Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, 209-228-7643.