Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
Supporting the Academic Mission

Registration Frequently Asked Questions

Common Questions:

Is your question not on the list above? - Contact us! Registrar staff and Students First Center staff are ready to help. Send an email to or chat with an SFC expert during operational hours by clicking the "Chat with an Expert" chat icon located on the bottom right of the Students First Center webpage.


Step-by-step guidance and information regarding common online registration errors and preparing for registration can be found on our registration help page.

We encourage you to meet with your academic advisor to discuss course plans and graduation requirements. More information about academic advising is available here:

MyDegreePath is a tool available to you that combines a degree audit with an academic planner. This resource may aid you in the selection of courses for the term. 

Registration activity primarily occurs during priority registration week. It is important that you select courses that fit into your degree progress. If space is not available in your preferred courses/sections, we recommend that you register in other courses that fit into your degree plan. Your academic advisor and the MyDegreePath tool may assist you in determining which courses to take next term.

You may view open classes on the online course schedule.

Undergraduate students must carry a study load of at least 15 units each semester in order to maintain normal progress toward their degree and at least 12 units are required for full-time student certification. Enrollment Status Policy.

If for reasons of occupation, family responsibility, health or graduating senior status (one semester only), a student is unable to attend the university on a full-time basis, the student may file for part-time status by the 15th day of instruction. The part-time program form is available here:

School approval is necessary to repeat a course. Review the course repeat information associated with the School the course is associated with. Links for each School are available on the registration error page.

Failure to enroll in courses for a fall or spring term may result in the loss of your student status and you will be required to apply to reinstate unless you are on an approved educational leave

If you do not intend to return to the university you must submit a University cancellation. If you intend to return to the University, it is recommended that you speak to your academic advisor about an educational leave and submit the approved form to the Office of the Registrar by the 15th day of instruction.

More information about leaving UC Merced:
More information about the educational leave program:

Congratulations on completing your degree requirements! You must notify the Registrar's Office that you are ready to graduate by completing the online graduation application. After we update your application status to under review we will inactivate your student status for the following term and you will stop receiving registration reminders from the Registrar's Office. 

This notification may appear for multiple reasons for students, with the most common causes being special program enrollment, an active educational leave, or a graduation application on file. 

Students who are approved to participate in the Education Abroad Program, for example, will not be able to register for courses at UCM during their anticipated abroad term. The Registrar's Office will restore registration eligibility at UCM if we receive a withdrawal notification from the EAP program. Students on an educational leave will not be able to register for terms in between their leave term and the return term noted on their ELP form. If you are interested in updating your return term, send an e-mail to so we may review your request.

Your student status is updated to inactive in the term immediately following the term you have applied to graduate in. If your plans have changed and you will be graduating later, you must refile for graduation to have your student status restored. You may refile for graduation here:

  • PHYS 009L/PHYS 019L

    Beginning with summer 2020 registration into PHYS 009L or PHYS 019L requires the completion of PHYS 008L or PHYS 018L with a C- or better. Students who completed PHYS 008 or PHYS 018 with a C- or better in or before fall 2019, should notify their academic advisor of their intent to register in PHYS 009L/019L, for registration assistance.