For updated instructions to some of the forms referenced below, review the Forms page in the Registrar Website
Each section has a five digit Course Reference Number (CRN), whether it is a lecture, discussion or lab. You must register for each of the linked sections at the same time.
- Example: ANTH 003 requires a lecture and discussion to register. When registering, you should ensure both the lecture and discussion component is included in your summary before submitting. The lecture and discussion are "linked" together, which makes it impossible to register for only one.
- Time conflicts or a closed section can cause linking errors.
The error is occurring because you have tried to register for two courses scheduled at the same time or the final exam time for one course is the same time as another. Remember, a time conflict may be with a lecture, discussion, lab or final exam.
- You should try to register for another open section of the same course, complete a Time Conflict Override Form, or register for a different course. You should contact your academic advisor if you have any questions.
The error is occurring because the lecture, discussion or lab you are trying to register for is at maximum capacity and there are no seats open for that section.
- You should try to register for another open section of the same course or register for a different course. Students can also add themselves to the waitlist, if there is space available.
The error is occurring because the course you are trying to register for is restricted to students enrolled in specific cohorts, like Living Learning Communities. You will need to choose a different section or contact your cohort coordinator or academic advisor if you believe you should be allowed to register.
The error is occurring because the course you are trying to register for requires you to complete another course prior to registering in the one you received the error. You might also receive this error if the course you are trying to register for has a prerequisite with a concurrent option, which means you must have previously taken the course or register for the course at the same time.
- Example: Chemistry 002, General Chemistry, has a prerequisite of Chemistry 001 or a passing score on the Chemistry Placement Exam or a score of three or better on the AP Chemistry Exam.
- To learn the prerequisites for a specific course you should look in the University Catalog or though the portal by clicking on the Title of the course and then viewing Prerequisites. You should contact your academic advisor if you need assistance.
If you are trying to register for a course that requires the instructor's consent, you need to contact the instructor for that course or your academic advisor. Once you receive the instructor's approval, you can use the Requisite Override Enrollment form.
- You can find the instructor's e-mail by going to the course schedule and clicking on the Instructor's name. You should contact your academic advisor if you have any questions.
The error is occurring because the course you are trying to register for requires another course during the same semester. For example, BIO 151L must be taken during the same semester as BIO 151.
- When registering, you should ensure all components are included in your summary before submitting.
The error is occurring because the course requires a different class standing (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate) than your current class standing. You should choose another course or contact your advisor for assistance.
The error is occurring because the course requires a different level (Undergraduate, Graduate) than your current level. You should choose another course.
This error is occurring because the course requires you to be declared in a certain major. You should choose another course or contact your advisor for assistance.
This error is occurring because the course is similar in subject material to another course already taken. For example, Math 011 has similar subject material as Math 021; you cannot take Math 011 after completing Math 021. Please contact your advisor for assistance.
This error is occurring because you are trying to register for a course you have already taken, or that you are currently registered in. You will need to contact your academic advisor regarding this error. More information about repeating courses can be found here. Note: Advisors will not override this restriction if you are currently enrolled in the course.
SSHA: Review the "Course Repeats" section on this page- https://ssha-advising.ucmerced.edu/registration
Once instruction begins for a term, instructors can drop students who are not attending. If you feel like this drop was made in error, please contact your course instructor directly. To re-add into the course, if space is available and if it is prior to the term's add/drop deadline, contact firstname.lastname@example.org only after reaching out to your instructor. Students who do not attend class meetings during the first ten days of instruction (or the first four days of instruction during summer session) may be submitted by the instructor to be dropped from the class. Students who wish to be excused from attending class must gain permission from each instructor of the classes they expect to miss.
This error is occurring because MyRegistration has a built-in limit to the amount of registration attempts allowed each term. When this limit has been reached, usually due to repeated and excessive CRN submissions, online registration becomes inactive for the term. To complete further registration transactions, you will need to submit the appropriate form to the Students First Center. The maximum registration attempt limit will then reset when the next term opens for registration.
Encounter an error not listed above? Contact: email@example.com