Skip to content Skip to navigation

Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition

Prospective and Admitted Students

If you are not sure you qualify as a California resident for tuition and fees, you can review the Understanding Residency website for general information. You can also obtain detailed information by reviewing the UC Residence Policy and Guidelines.

New Students (Undergraduate/Graduate)

Complete the online Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) that appears on your checklist within the portal. Failure to submit your SLR will result in nonresident fees assessed to your student account. New students must first complete their Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) before they can complete their Statement of Legal Residence.

Deadline:  Fall Semester - June 15       Spring Semester - December 15

Continuing Students (Undergraduate/Graduate)

If you have been classified as a nonresident for tuition and fees, learn how to change your nonresident status to resident. Keep in mind that you should start the process of becoming a California resident at least a year before the start of your first semester.

After submission of your SLR, students should monitor their UC Merced email for updates on status or additional information. As a reminder, your UC Merced email account is the official method of communication and students should only use their UC Merced email account when contacting our offices and always include their full name and student id number.